Sunday, June 30, 2013

Lit-Savvy Sunday: June 30

I'm cheating this week! I didn't technically read this, I listened to it thanks to Audible while I did laundry and packed. I even listened to it the night before the move instead of getting fully rested. This was my first ever audio book, and I'm going to review Audible/audio books in general from the point of view of a heavily visual and/or kinesthetic learner as soon as I get a free moment!


I love, love, love this series. It's one of those young adult books you just can't put down! Even though the audio narration was 11 hours long, I finished it in only three or four days. Pretties is the second book, following Uglies.

As predictable from the ending of the first book in this series, Pretties's plot line follows Tally from shortly after her operation as she rediscovers the person and life she lived as a rebellious Ugly. By chance, or maybe by fate, she meets a boy named Zayne who helps open her eyes to the problems that Pretties are all but mentally incapable of noticing or caring. All of her relationships with other characters become more mature and more complicated as they simultaneously learn more about each other yet misunderstand each other.

Beyond just a great plot, the morals and thoughts behind the plot thicken as well, as Tally realizes humans naturally have faults and even the way the city has handled humanity isn't cut black and white. As I like to say, every coin has two sides.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot just in case you couldn't resist reading my reviews, but seriously, go read it. This series is insanely entertaining and very thought-provoking about society, humanity, and free will. Once I finish the rest of the series I'll do a more comprehensive look at the themes and the way they tie back into the real world.

If you've read Pretties I want to know... Are Shay's feelings & actions justified? What about the Specials not getting consent but hypothetically using their power for the good of the planet and of the human race?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hi, I'd love to hear your thoughts!